Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Better To Stay Silent And Be Thought A Fool

I've clearly never followed the maxim I'm quoting in the post title, but the most cursory trip around the internets confirms its providence.

Some statements I've been subjected to about the gentle craft of roleplaying this week:

[1] "If you're going to play a system that uses a 20-sided dice you may as well just convert it to [the] d20 [game system] because everything else is just too complicated."

[2] "D&D 4th Edition removes the beautifully crafted storytelling and deep character-driven roleplaying that D&D is famous for."

[3] "It's a pretty disappointing campaign unless you have a total party kill (TPK) somewhere in the first three sessions."

[4] "I don't like D&D 4th Edition because it's too hard for the DM to win."

Hopefully you're laughing with me and not at me, but if anyone's in doubt as to why these are dunce-cappers, drop a comment, and I'll do a post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. [2] is an especially facedesk statement. I can and have run incredibly rewarding roleplaying-based games with D&D, but it is in no way famous for "beautifully crafted storytelling and deep character-driven roleplay".

Greg Tannahill said...

My point exactly. You can tell a story perfectly fine in D&D, but the system has never gone out of its way to encourage roleplaying to any extent other than asking you to choose an alignment.

Character-driven stories do occur naturally in D&D, provided that your character is defined by his love of 10x10 stone corridors, monster-slaying, and treasure.

By The Sword said...

Not true! Every D&D campaign I have ever been in has had some great storytelling both from the DM and the players.

Back in 2nd edition I think there was more emphasis on storytelling and character background in the 'compendium' books. But thus far, 4th edition looks like combat rules that you can drop into a fantasy setting.

Doug said...

Comedy gold!